Friday 23 March 2012

shuffleARCHITECTURE :: Procurement Method for 5th Year Studio Project

Today was great. Never thought it would turn out to be a productive one. I targeted to finish answering Question 4 for Architectural Practice and Management before rewarding myself with a giant fish + chip at Whitehorse with Miss Ida. Answering those questions was such a pain, but if i still have the passion to become an architect soon, it is always as important as any other difficult task i have to deal with. Sooner or later, I have to learn about it so instead of pushing it away and declaring how boring it is, its better to deal it with delight, that when i look at this moment 10-15 years from now i would smile. This difficult-to-understand subject might turn out to be a simple thing to understand. Just a small deal probably! hahah. :P
   
The question is on Form of Contract, in which I have to suggest to a client the most ideal form of contract for the Edilian Neighbourhood I designed on 5th Year Project in Jokulsarlon, Iceland. Reflecting back at the project, it was a challenging one yet tremendous effort needs to put in to design the Futuristic Experimental Society. I was never a very futuristic person, personally and ideally, i am a traditionalist and and quite conservative in terms of design approach, which humble architecture is always what i seek within myself as an architect. A simple yet meaning touch of architecture that- makes people feel happy and even non-architects could feel, understand and appreciate it is enough for me to feel the satisfaction as a designer. Well you could see how my rendering techniques in my project mainly of just photo-montage techniques- a combination of using Sketch up rendering and photoshop-ed it.It was a very hard journey to get to this design, but I was kind of surprised myself on how the project turned out to be one. It looks like a tree structure that holds the dwelling pods, elevated so that the dwellings will be safe under the extreme and  vigorous weather of Iceland. Never I know that I could really push myself to think about how future living might look like. Have a look. :D























So back to the question, I suggested a Design Built Form of Contract rather than the traditional method. This suits the partnership that we're having that soon to be transformed into a Limited Liability Company in which the idea of moving forward towards BIM, as the importance of the 'team' is to be taken into consideration for selecting the best approach on this project. Factors such as project type, experienced/inexperienced client, costs, time and quality are factors that will leads to the best,ideal contract.

By selecting Architect-Led Design Build form of contract, I highlighted the advantages of this procurement method that are:
1-  lessening the legal, administration and managerial responsibility of the client and reduce risks
2-  reducing costs
3- time saving

While the disadvantages of this method however are:
1- The client might feel that they are against the design-built team in which in the traditional method, both designer and builder are responsible in protecting the client interest before anything.
2- The quality is questionable since the tendering process in the Design-Bid-Build method is replaced by a negotiation in choosing the contractor for the contract.

I just realised its already 1.16 in the morning. It was quite late since we left gym for the squasy-badminton game quite late last night. I shall update things later. Hope the pictures are inspiring :P

Me

2 comments: